Home' INSTYLE Magazine : INSTYLE NOV-DEC 2017 Contents W
hilst the potential for growth is massive - managing
a team, looking after clients, marketing and client
attraction can easily push you to become the
victim of your own success.
In this blog and my recent podcast on the topic,
I look at some of the most common issues that come up with those I
coach and in the industry in general.
THE QUIET DAY FREAK OUT
We’ve all had them - zero clients in the appointment book. You
can easily start to question your business, your team’s worth and
what’s gone wrong. I remember my first Zero -day... Once I got over
myself this is what I did and have seen success with other salons
What to do?
1. Track your sales over time
• Stop and remember one bad day does not define your business.
• Go back and look at the month to date, and look at your
• Go back over your last 3, 6 or 12 months to see how the sales
are going in general. Use an Excel spreadsheet to make a
graph - visually you’ll get the full story of what is going on in your
business, and you’ll notice patterns in the peaks and troughs in
sales. One trough does make a business fail.
• If you track information, and make business decisions based on
this kind of data, you’re in a much strong position.
2. Finally work through your to do list
Use this sudden quiet time as an opportunity to do all the things you
don’t normally get done. Don’t send everyone home just yet, but do
a team exercise. On quiet days, grab your team to-do list and make
use of the time.
• Have a great clearout of the salon, get hair out of the corners,
cotton buds out of the back cupboards and get everything
• Do your social media scheduling posts for the whole month
• Do some training or even do each others hair and waxing
sessions. What a treat!
• Treat your team to a muffin or a wine after work to keep
3. Out of the Box Marketing
This is your chance to try some radical and fun marketing tactics
to really see what works. You have $0 in the books so you have
NOTHING to lose - Right? It’s time for a push on the socials, to get
your name out there and make a splash!
Some examples include:
• “Bring a Friend” - Today Only and both get a free service
• A crazy ‘freebie’ offer and target your Ideal Client. For Example
one of my Salon Owners promoted a FREE offer for new mums
for a treatment and blow-out as long as they brought their baby
(younger than 3 months) into the salon - it went bonkers and
gained LOTS of traction.
• T hose client in your chair, who are getting high value are feeling
the love and have a “money burning a hole in their pocket” now
that they don’t have to spend on core ser vices. They are primed
to invest in home hair care or extra ser vices offered to them. A
recent salon went from $0 booked in today, to $600 by the end
of the day after booking on ONLY free ser vices!. Remember to
re-book these people!
DITCH THE OVERWHELM TO FIND MORE FREEDOM
As Salon-Business Owners we can get so bogged down with the
would-should-could - there is so much to do and not enough hours
in the day... ever! When you’re in an over whelmed state, nothing
truly productive gets done. It will Never all get done - so declare
your business ‘perfect’ now. Enjoy what you have and think about
improving it step by step.
What to do:
1. Dump everything out of your head. Like a computer, when the
ram gets full you can’t function or think clearly or creatively. Get
a big piece of paper and write everything down. Take a couple
of days to do it - get it all out of your brain! You’ll start to free up
space in your brain to think clearly and creatively again.
2. Start to think about your list using the eisenhower grid. Organising
everything this way, you are able to figure out what is urgent,
important or not to urgent or should just be deleted.
3. Concentrate on income generating activity - keep this at the
top of your list all the time, and spend at least 3 hours a week on
activity that will bring you more clients, income and sales.
I worked myself into overwhelm and stress before my business
coach threatened to break both my arms and get out from behind
the chair doing clients all day long. Who was running my business if I
was serving clients? A fair Question...
After 20 years of owning an award -winning salon, I created the
Freedom and Profit program to help Salon Owners and Industry
Brands through Coaching, Courses & Community to do the same!
Best of all It’s free so you can download it yourself www.
Running a salon is a huge job. You
often learn a lot - hard and fast and
it’s important not to work yourself
into a state of overwhelm, writes
Links Archive INSTYLE SPT-OCT 2017 INSTYLE JAN-FEB 2018 Navigation Previous Page Next Page